Saturday, March 24, 2012

So many new things- Megapope, Fisthead, Illustration, doodles

Hey there! It has been a long long while since I have done a post.  In fact, last night, I spent 3 hours trying to figure out what email and password I used for this account.  Anyway.  Needless, to say, I have some explaination to do for my absence.  It is simple:  my student film "Megapope" now runs about 6 and a half minutes.  (more than 3 times longer than fisthead)  I have only two times as long to finish it so I have been going nuts.  However, I have picked up around 12 interns to workon my film doing in-betweens and color. In a future post I shall list them, but they have way too many last names for me to remember right now.  I need to get my list.
             So I figure I shall start with talking about some Megapope news (and olds).  Here is the Megapope intern sheet I handed out.  Its a nice little character sheet that gives you a glimpse into the film's people.   I presented to 3 sophomore classes and handes this out and I got a good response.
Once I recruited these young people I gave the ones who were willing a sort of test.  If they had an interest in in-betweens on my film, they needed to be able to recreate my style.  This is a breakdown sheet for how to draw the main character, Megapope.
Now, this is a film so I don't expect you will just be satisfied by some drawings.  I have some video previews for ya. I thought it would be cool to show the rough and then the finished version of some shots. Here is a group of 4 shots with the evil cardinals that are plotting against the main character.  The first link is a rough version and the second link is a more final version.
Rough:
http://vimeo.com/31832275
Final:
http://vimeo.com/38963638

 Now, these scenes are actually very different from most of the others in the film in that they are high contrast (let alone that they have shadows at all).  This was an interesting look to play around with but most of the rest of the film looks more like the following preview shots.  These are short so don't get excited.  Its mostly animators that apprciate them honestly.  I have alot of people complain when my preview shots are so short.  I tell them that if I gave them 30 seconds of cleaned-up work thats like posting a whole week's work of work before the film comes out. 

So here is one that I thought was funny.  I utilized two different animation styles for the two main characters.  Megapope is part robot so his movements are very robotic.

http://vimeo.com/37517047

In comparison, Ned, the atheist speech-writer was more fluid in the animation.  I used animation smears.  This is a frame in-between two exaggerated poses that shows a fluid, fast motion.



I will admit, in this film I had to take many animation short-cuts.  But this one short clip took so long because I wanted to make these stupid curtains look good.  There is nothing behind the curtains yet because I still have to do the outside backgrounds.


http://vimeo.com/37517416


To segway into the next section of this post, here is the website page for Ned's speech-writer review section.  Check out the advertisement on the left.



 Some of you might be wondering if I am still working on Fisthead.  I know I have left the public in the dark about what I am doing with it, but fear not.   I am working on Fisthead every week.  In fact, this last week I began to take measures to officially copyright it.  My small writing team is working every week on scripts for 11 minute episodes.  We have finished the Pilot script.  Here is a little clip of the first page and the little logo I did for it.

I don't want to give too much away, but there is a new villain and Fisthead may or may not run for mayor in a Renaissance fair.   We are very excited about the future of fisthead and I will be heading out to La come May to talk to a studio who may be interested.  I can't give any more away because nothing is certain or final yet.  But things are advancing!    We are super pumped.    We are also developing Fisthead's brother who is a normal dude.  We needed something/someone to anchor fisthead down to humanity alittle.  Fear not, knuckleheads,  we are still working on it!

Side note- Here is an in-progress business card I am working on. 


 Now, as with any other blog post I make, I like to post things other than my film.  For instance,
 here is  a song I recorded for my new acoustic project influenced by trip-hop, Fever ray, and Tom Waits.
http://soundcloud.com/shedhead-1/faith-has-buried-more-wary-men

Give it a listen!  Let me know what  you think!

On spring break I got the chance to sit and work on one drawing for awhile, which was refreshing.  I usually have to pump out several hundred in a quick way, so working on one is nice.  I call this one "Magic Lamp"

 I am not sure if I want to color it or not but I think it stands on its own as just line art.

I also figured I would post a scanned print that I did.  A Frank Frezetta inspired barbarian fighting giant ants.
Nowwwww, here is a glimpse into my sketchbook. I picked out some pages/doodles I liked. 
Here is brain, a cube, and balls.

I realize I draw white people too much.  So here are some funny sketches I did with some little black rascals.



(I like the realistic guy a whole lot) 

Here's some fantasy-type/surreal shtuff.
I've been working on muh cartoonnnns too.



Yeah, I had a feeling this would be a monster post. Its so long.  If you read all of it and get to this point, thanks for following my work!  I hope to post something soon.

To leave off, here is a new little political comic from my series "Crocs"

Catch ya later!

No comments:

Post a Comment